Thursday, August 1, 2013

Surviving Off Off-Grid Book

I'm currently reading Michael Bunker's Surviving Off Off-Grid book. It has taken me WAY too long to read this book. Partially because it is a book that really makes you think and wonder. I end up reading a chapter, or even a partial chapter and putting the book down (or closing the Kindle app actually) and letting my mind absorb what I just read for a while. There are lots of great points in this book. I just finished chapter 7 which is called "Cool Stuff". Its about ways to maintain cooler temperatures in your home or food storage areas without electricity. Very interesting and has given me several things to think about. The last section of that chapter is quoted below. This paragraph really stood out to me and really sums up the book (of what I've read so far anyway). I pasted it here as partially a ad for the book to say you should go buy it, and partially so I could revisit it here when needed to be reminded of the things this book has taught me.


Old Paths
   Looking towards the old paths is not a melancholy dream, or some fantastical wish for a mythical bygone paradise. We don’t look to the past as if it was the perfect, idyllic, pastoral utopia. We know it wasn't perfect. We look to the past for a few great reasons: Because the Bible tells us to (Jer. 6:16); because there is wisdom and reason in learning these old and valued skills; and because the way the world has chosen, though it seems to be right for a time, has wrought nothing but damage, destruction, intellectual and spiritual entropy, and mental colonization. The product of the modern way of doing things is spiritual emptiness and sadness, is fraught with disappointment and unrealized expectations, and creates a crazed urge to fill the void with consumption and "stuff".
   May we all start looking backwards with hope and joy. Our political mottos might be "Building A Bridge To The Past, or, Agrarianism: Change We Can Believe In... Because it Worked Before."
-Michael Bunker, Surviving Off Off-Grid

May God bless,
-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment